Friday, June 20, 2008

HIV and Children's Conference in Nakuru

Well I am back from Nakuru safe and sound. The conference was interesting and I was able to network with people who work in children's ministries and AIDS ministries.
While I was there, I also continued helping Carolyn as her personal assistant. Anything that needed to be done, I was there. Right down to using my running hat as the staff tip jar at the end of the conference.

At the conference we visited Hope For Life , which is a center for people who are affected by HIV, that was started by a Kenyan woman named Josephine, and is assisted by 2 AIM missionaries-- Josephine is one of the most dedicated and hard-working women I have met. Most of the people there are moms, and grandmas who are the caretakers of children who have lost their parents to HIV. Some of the women are also infected with HIV. At the center, the women are taught practical skills such as sewing, painting, and beading (jewelry, key chains, etc.).

The children who come to the center, come for lunch in between the school day.
They also have Bible teaching while they are there and learn fun songs and dances.
While we were there, we saw the different crafts and also watched the women sing and
dance, while we ate the lunch they prepared; and then the children sang and danced for us-- first the older kids, and then the younger ones. They were, of course, so cute!

Now that I am back in Nairobi, Carolyn and I will get cracking on preparing for the July orientation school. We have a busy couple of weeks ahead of us! However, I am taking a little break tomorrow, as my fellow Bowieite, her husband, and I will be driving through the National Park to see some animals, and then on to the Giraffe Park, where you get to feed the giraffes while standing on a high platform.

By the way, the Scotlands, who I was with in Ikotos, gave birth to their second son, Aiden Lawrence, on Father's Day (last Sunday)! Mom and baby are doing well, and Calum is said to be helping as much as he can.

No comments: