Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back in Ikotos again



I came back from Torit yesterday with Phil and Linda Byler, who helped me to bring back some mattresses for my tuukel to share with Lydia, who will be here for 3 months, and they helped me to bring a lot of fresh food. Torit gets shipments of fresh produce and other supplies from Kenya and Uganda that we don't get in Ikotos, although we are right over the Ugandan border. So, it was great to have a means to bring all that stuff, plus, to be able to talk to my unit leaders for a few hours undivided.
On Monday, I will begin teaching and have heard that more students have been coming for class. Tomorrow I need to be diligent in completing my scheme for History for this term. I was putting that one off in case the Sudan curriculum changed anything, because once the South Sudan curriculum really begins, then the students will be learning more specifically about the history of South Sudan and less of East African history. However, that is not an option at the moment, so I will be looking through my half torn book to figure out some lesson plans for the Senior 1 and 2 classes. The book belongs to another teacher who had bought it from Uganda and now it is completely falling apart and missing some pages. Last week, I was borrowing a bicycle from someone and had the book tied to the back, as I rode to the air strip to meet a plane. As I rode, I hit a bump, coming out of a ditch and the book went flying off with all of the unglued pages flying up into the air and scattering themselves along the dirt road. I felt like an adjunct, absent-minded professor as I quickly jumped off the bike and collected the pages. A few children watched me and one small girl said "mylesh (sorry)." Hoping not to miss the plane before it took off again, I gathered the pages under my arm and rode on to the air strip to collect a parcel for the Scotlands. When I reached the airstrip (which was in view of the incident), there happened to be some kewajas there from an NGO, so I explained that my book had fallen apart and one of the ladies looked at my ragamuffin-self and replied, "clearly." My face might have turned red had it not already been red from the late morning jaunt in getting there. So, the pages were already disjointed, but now they are even crazier than before.
*Added in this entry is a picture of the AIM house in Torit and most of my students from last term.

No comments: