Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Tuukel Remodeled









Just so everyone knows, it was 48 degrees Celsius the other day, which is 120 degrees Fahrenheit! I was wondering why I felt like I was going to pass out while walking to school, but then I found out the temperature.
No worries, there has been other ways that I try to keep cool. For example, two days agon, I set up my hammock finally and that allows for a nice cross-breeze. And Phil installed my car fan onto the head board of my bed. It sounds like an airplane taking off, but it keeps me cool at night so that I can sleep.
Everything else is still the same. The numbers at school are going up and we have mostly girls this term. We still don't have proper books, but in time maybe.
The school and our compound are awaiting Lydia's arrival. I have cleaned up her side of the tuukel and prepared a proper "kitchen" complete with hand washing station.
She will be coming on Tuesday.
The pictures above are of my new and improved tuukel since the last time you saw it. Days before Christmas, Kelly and I painted the walls a nice, creamy yellow. Then, I fixed up the rest when I returned from Kenya. Its pretty swank now except for the termites and rats that like to make their residence inside, and the occasional cat who tries to steal my bread and power bars!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Meghan,
I just went through orientation for AIM in Pearl River with Lydia. I'm leaving for South Africa 3 weeks from today. I just wanted to say hi and that I'm praying for both of you!
Sarah

dessertratt said...

Cool Hammock- Everyone can get one too from Outfitter at Hatrpers Ferry!
I'll betcha Laura could sell a gross of those cool MooMoo's in Harpers Ferry to the AT hikers too!
Patrick & Vera (the old peeps)