Friday, April 6, 2007

Southern Sudan

Today, I just found out that I'm going to Southern Sudan instead of Northern Uganda!! A few positions opened in a school there in which AIM and the school think that I'd be the right fit. Very few people are allowed into Southern Sudan so apparently this is a rare opportunity. I am extremely excited about going to Sudan, just as much so as Uganda. Sudan is the first country to draw my attention towards East Africa by reading the book "They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky" written by three of the "lost boys" and Edited by Judy Bernstein (a must read). The issues of Northern Uganda and Southen Sudan overlap because of their geographiv proximity.
Most likely, on August 27th I will be in Pearl River, NY for a 3 day orientaion and then I will fly to Kampala, Uganda for training. Then, I will fly to Southern Sudan to teach for a year. My accomodations will be a mud hut with a thatched roof with no electricity. My water source will be a bore hole and my bathroom, well, not much different. No problem though...that's what all those years of training on the Appalacian Trail prepared me for!! Also, at the Alldredge Academy, where I worked from last June until November, and will be working this summer, I sleep under a plastic tarp with no running water or electricity or bathroom. Of course, I know that this will be different from being in Appalachia and this will be a new experience, but with a few familiar qualities.
This is all the information I have now, but I will keep you posted as I find out more!

1 comment: