Monday, May 19, 2008

Bricks, Hot Dogs, and RPGs

This week I am preparing to leave Ikotos and fly to Kenya. Last weekend Lydia and I held a good-bye fellowship at our house for the church and had a chance to let everyone know how much we love them even though we're leaving. Before I fly off to Kenya though, I want to give you a few stories from the week.

Last week Saturday the church youth group spent all day making bricks out of mud to build an office for themselves on the compound. They used our rain-water tank to make the mud and a wooden form to make the shape of the bricks.
They started early in the morning, up until the late afternoon. Now, I don't know how long you have been reading this blog, but back when I was still raising funds to come to Sudan, I wrote an entry called "bricks in the wall" talking about how in the book of Nehemiah all of God's people worked in unison to build the wall. I was reminded of that on Monday, when it began to rain and all of their hard work was about to be ruined. Everyone on the compound-- including myself and Lydia-- in unison ran to save the bricks. Though it was pouring down rain and we were soaked to the bone, we continued on, running back and forth to the empty hut so the bricks would dry. It was dark, and slippery, and one could only take one brick at a time because otherwise the bricks would break. However, we laughed and knew that we were doing this together. When I wrote that blog a year ago, who would have known that I would really be assisting with brick production, eh? Both Saturday and Monday were beautiful examples of oneness in spiritThe following friday, was the 16th May, the commemoration day of the SPLA. Here in Ikotos, beginning at 6:00 a.m. the SPLA fired off RPGs to kick off the celebration. Fortunately I remembered Jordan telling me a story about it from last year, so I wasn't scared. After my special alarm for the day, I got up and went running. While on my run I could swear I smelled hot dogs on the grill, but what it probably was, was lovely goat meat with the hair still attached. I don't eat meat anyway, yet it was still fun to think of hot dogs on Independence day!

Later in the morning, someone on a loud speaker announced through town to come to the celebration and listen to the speakers. Lydia and I went around noon to check things out. When we arrived, the AIC choir was singing for some people under a tent and then the SPLA had a small marching display. The sun was way too hot to stand out in the middle of town for long, so along with some of our friends, we sat under the awning of a shop and watched from afar. The celebration wasn't ultra eventful, however I enjoyed celebrating with my fellow townsmen.


That evening was mine and Lydia's farewell fellowship for the church. Every weeks someone from church volunteers to hold fellowship at their house and so this was ours. Before fellowship, Lydia and I popped a ton of popcorn and wrapped each portion in a curled piece of paper like at a county fair. After singing and a brief message we handed it out and everyone was excited to try this new, fun food. Some people, who have been in Kampala or even Torit, know about popcorn, but for those who never leave home, this was new.

Not as many people showed up as I had hoped though. It seems that the celebration took the spotlight, as well as other domestic obligations. Some visitors from afar had come, therefore requiring the attention of the women for cooking.
At least we all had fun and there was enough people to take a group photo for the Bowie Blade, my local newspaper, with me holding the front cover of the Valentine's Day edition(our newspaper then will put the picture in the travel section).

At church the following Sunday, I was able to see those who did not attend Friday's fellowship. It was nice to have a chance to say good-bye properly.

For the past 3 weeks Lydia and I have been singing in the youth choir. We sing in the youth choir because the choices are: Children's Sunday School Choir, Youth Choir, and the Women of Good News; and since I do not yet have a child, I am not considered a woman, therefore placing me in the category of youth. Its ok though, because all the women my age are married with children and so I have connected more with the 16 and 17 year olds.


This past Sunday was extra fun because while the Children's choir sang, I did the traditional applause of a Sudanese woman and ran up to the children with flowers howeling and yelling "hallelujah, hallelujah, Sunday School!" as I threw flowers on their heads. I had been planning to do this for forever, but was always too timid to do it. With nothing to lose, I let loose. Then, after singing with the youth, the Women of Good News were only 2 this Sunday, so after throwing flowers on them as well, I joined them up front singing. Everyone laughed and we had a good time.
I will really miss singing and dancing with my church friends.

I'd like to note that I'm adding a photo from Saturday's choir practice, of a .
beautiful double rainbow, which was a symbol of peace and comfort during this time of leaving

Church in Ikotos is lively and long. We officially start at 9:30, but actually begin at 10:00, when people arrive. The men and some women sit in chairs on the left side of the building, while the children and some of the youth and mothers sit on a tarp on the right.
We sing several lively choruses while clapping and dancing. Then, each one of the choirs has a chance to present a few songs. After the choir is a time for visitors to introduce themselves and for those leaving or coming back from a trip to speak. At around 11:00 the sermon begins, and after offering and some more singing, we end the service at around 12:00 or 12:30. One thing I really enjoy about the end of the service is that, as we exit the church, we are singing and forming a circle outside. As we pass each person in the circle, you greet each other. Once the song is finished, we all disperse for the day.

Lately, during the week I have been spending the morning with my pre-school friends and then doing some typing for the church and for that workshop I had previously mentioned in an entry. Of course, there are also the everyday tasks to be done here, that never need to be done in the U.S. For Example, going to the borehole to retrieve water.I've incorporated this into my workout routine. I have found that if I get down low and spread my arms out, the exercise resembles a push-up or a bench-press. The women all love to laugh at me as I pump at rapid speed in my work-out stance.

The other tasks are doing laundry, heating water on the kerosene stove, and refilling the kerosene stove (which is not clean or easy), along with constantly sweeping out the tuukel, the kitchen, the bath house, and the bakana (latrine).
Oh, but how I will miss doing all these things once I'm in Kenya...possibly.

So, to everyone in Ikotos (although you may never read this), I will miss you all and have enjoyed being part of your life and part of your family. I will never forget you. Thank you.

Next time you hear from me I will be in Kenya. Pray that Lydia and I have a safe flight.

No comments: