Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Saying Good-bye


“Be wala, be wala, be wala nuru ta Yesu, be wala”
“Shine, shine, shine the light of Jesus, shine”

That is what we sang as the four of us walked down the sandy road towards the airstrip. Arm-in-arm, Madeline, me, Amuna, and Lydia—-Black, white, black, white was the pattern on the outside, but on the inside was a uniform feeling of love for one another and sadness in departure. We were walking Lydia to the airstrip, as she was the first to leave last Thursday. We had our friend C.W., from one of the NGOs, drive Lydia’s luggage to the airstrip as we walked there for the last time. Us girls sang choruses from the youth choir as we walked to ease the tension and to bring joy in our hearts.

Lydia’s plane was late, so we told C.W. to just drop us so that he could resume his work. We sat under a tree waiting for the plane for an hour and a half. It wasn’t so bad though, because it gave us more time to laugh and talk and sing once more. My plane was to come at 1:00 and Lydia’s 10:30, but as Lydia’s plane delayed in coming, the tension rose a bit because I still had some last minute things to do at the house. At 12, I decided that I’d better go, and to leave Amuna and Madeline to say good-bye to Lydia. Just as we were saying our good-byes, we could hear the sound of the plane. After getting Lydia on the plane, Amuna, Madeline, and I waited awhile to see her off the ground, but the plane took long in taking off, so we had to go. Madeline, Amuna, and my little pre-school friend Ingerim ran to the house to do some sweeping and to dry the dishes to be put away, while I ran to the market to collect a balance I had with the bread lady and give it to a shopkeeper of whom I owed money. The bread lady had no change as usual so she gave me a bun instead. Then, I ran back home to help in the preparation to leave—it was 12:40. C.W. was expected to come at this time, but I was not ready. I had no time to think about feeling sad as I handed C.W. my bags and locked all the doors. I gave Amuna and Madeline most of my dishes and other things like spices that they threw into boxes to take home. They gave the boxes to Ingerim, and another pre-school orphan named Latébus to take them to the house. It was then that I realized that I may never see Ingerim again, so I said good-bye to her and told her that I won’t forget her.
It was just that morning that the two of us walked hand-in-hand as we moved towards the river to take pictures. She had seen me walking back from the airstrip after sunrise and ran towards me so that I would not overlook her. She is so cute and small, and as we walked I wondered who would watch over her to make sure that she eats everyday, and that she goes through school, and that she grows to be a leader like I see her now.

Instead of singing and walking, this time we hopped in the car and drove off to the airstrip. Madeline, Amuna, and I could not sing this time, for we couldn’t even talk. All of us were too sad at the thought of leaving each other. Madeline put her head in my lap and Amuna turned her head towards the window to hide her face. We got to the airstrip and unloaded my luggage although the plane had not yet arrived. C.W. had to check on someone at the clinic so he left us for a bit and then returned. The plane was two hours late, which was okay with us because it gave us more time to talk. Although we didn’t talk much, we sat together quietly with intermitted speech. C.W. helped ease the tension by talking to Amuna and Madeline about the importance of staying in school. I was appreciative of C.W. because I could barely speak—-my time here in Ikotos had really come to an end already and I was about to leave my new friends behind.


The plane finally came and we put my luggage into the holds. I hugged C.W. and said good-bye and then walked over to Madeline and Amuna. Madeline lunged at me and then did Amuna. We held a tight, group hug for some minutes before pulling myself away towards the waiting pilot and passengers. With tears in my eyes I walked up the stairs to the plane and out of my Ikotos life. Leaving those girls was so hard. They have been my closest friends in Ikotos and, like Ingerim, who was going to watch out for them. Those two are older yes, and have a strong head on their shoulders, but I want to make sure they finish primary school and complete secondary. I don’t want anything to stand in the way of their dreams.

The plane started up as I looked out the window onto my waiving friends. They had their arms around each other. I waived back profusely with both hands, and then the plane took off down the dirt runway and I watched Ikotos disappear.

As I write, I am in Nairobi safe and sound. I had a great time in Loki with the Carpenter and Hildebrandt families as we celebrated Memorial Day on Sunday. We had a picnic, including “Jell-o,” water balloons, and baseball. I left Loki at 6:30a.m. yesterday and arrived to the frigid 70 degree Nairobi at 9a.m.. Even though I’m freezing here, I do enjoy doing things like grocery shopping.

I will keep you updated on my schedule in Kenya. The nearest thing on the calendar is my sister coming on the second of June and staying until the ninth. I'm greatly looking forward to her coming and want to hear all about her trip around Europe. Then, on the 16th, I head to Nukuru for a week-long conference on AIDS and Children. Thank you all for your love in support. (pre-school children in Ikotos)

No comments: