Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Calling all school administrators and teachers...

The following is a memo that I'm sending to whom it may concern at A.I.M., and I want you guys to consider it and let me know if you know anyone or you, yourself want to be a part of this:

An Intervention Workshop for the Teachers of A.I.C. S.S.S.

Needed: A team of school administrators from the A.I.M. sending countries for a two week short-term mission

Purpose: The team would facilitate the teachers in a two week workshop to organize the school for proper functioning.
The Facilitators would cover the following topics:

-vision for the school
-school rules
-rules for teachers
-board of governors
-roles of the HM, DHM, DOS, Bursar, Store Keeper, CMs, etc.
-punishment policy for students
-structure of the school day
-school schedule
-character building
-work ethics

Structure of the workshop: Each day the facilitators will lead the teachers in a discussion on one of the topics mentioned above. Each teacher will be expected to first write out their own idea for the topic (ex: School Vision—what is your vision for the school?). Then the facilitators and the faculty will discuss each person’s idea and then collectively come to a final decision. Because of each topic being done collectively, it will take an entire day to discuss each topic.
When the workshop is completed, at least two of the facilitators should plan to return in six months for an evaluation of the workshop’s results.

Thank you for your time in contemplating this idea for the workshop. Personally, I believe that this is the only way to establish structure for the school. It is also my recommendation that only certified, veteran teachers and administrators from the sending countries be sent.

** By the way, I forgot to mention in yesterday's entry that I added the link of my friend Rachel's blog to the list of "People in the Field." She will be with Peace Corps in Lesotho for 2 years beginning in June.
*** Also, an addition to the top ten list that I did not mention is when you start going to other people's houses for dinner because you don't like your own cooking! That is a trait of the Sudanese men here, but I have started doing the same thing.

No comments: