Saturday, July 19, 2008

Eminate Culture Shock

FYI: I added info to my last entry and I forget to mention last time that I added Erica's blog link to my list of Friends in the field on the right-hand side of this page.

As of now I'm still at ABO and mentally blocking out the fact that I will be home in 4 days. I know that in saying this some of you might be bummed, but its the truth. Erica has been working with me to name the good things about going back to the U.S.--Starbucks, Sheetz subs,cycling etc.. The truth is that, well part of me is just going through what every person goes through when they get ready to return to their home country, and also, if God wants me to serve in Kenya after grad school, then its a good thing I feel at home here. Fortunately, I know that I have great support at home from my family and friends so that when I go through the stages of culture shock, I won't be alone.

Recently, I have received word from my soon-to-be roomate, Lori, that I may have a house by August. She has been looking around Morgantown for a place since the beginning of the year. Today I read that my choices are a house in Star City, close to the Stadium, or an apartment close to the Evansdale campus, the Colleseum, and STARBCUKS. Although the latter has a convenient location, I'm pushing for the 2 bedroom house because it has bigger rooms, bigger closets, a basement, and a yard. I know, I know, you all are thinking "you've been living in a mud hut! What kind of space do you need?!" Ahh, but its because of the mud hut that I would love to have a room with a nice closet, and you know, I could build a mud hut in the yard if I feel so inclined. ;) So, pray for Lori and I as we figure out our new living arrangements and getting to know one another, since we don't actually know each other, but have a great mutual friend,Janine.

As for pictures from ABO, the scavenger hunt in town, a tuk tuk (pronounced took took), and my new BFFs, they will all be added soon. Erica was able to add some earlier today, so you can look on her blog for a few to tide you over.

1 comment:

dessertratt said...

Weeni! You should live in a traditional Native Indian Sweat Lodge or a Redneck trailer when you go back to Motown!
God Bless your trip home--