Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wild,Wonderful American Internet Connection

So here are the pictures that I've been wanting to post for the past month at ABO in Machakos, but the internet was too slow. Now that I have made it safe and sound into New York, I am a picture uploading fiend. Although I have a little cold from sharing drinks and breathing spaces one too many times, I am doing well here at HQ while I wait for my Mom and Sis to come fetch me. I will spend the night here tonight, do a debrief with my coordinator, and then head off to Maryland. I plan to make a slow pilgrimage to Morgantown, stopping through the Eastern Panhandle for about a week.
For now enjoy the super fun pictures and keep in mind that vidoes are on there way!


The Elegible Bachelorettes and a Bachelor


Lord of the Dance...in the kitchen!


Me, playing the role of the "soft target," known as being in the "white zone," and my attacker, during our Super Miss skit (video to be added).


Sarah as "Super Miss" fully ready for a day in the life of an AIMer.


Roll that Beautiful Bean Footage!


Beans in the Machakos vegetable Market. Aren't they beautiful?


The Vegetable Market in Machakos


This, my friends, is a Tuk Tuk-- a three-wheeled taxi.


Donna had me draw this fireplace to help the ABOers stay warm during the sessions in our frigid 67 degree weather. *Pictured are Sarah (my favorite South African)and Juli.
Four of us girls giving ourselves a foot scrub while sharing the same basin at the same time (from the left: Sarah, Erica, me, and Sheri--not pictured)


Erica and I after our first run conquering the big hill (and when I got my stride back). **Thanks Erica for being such a trooper on my strict regimen-- couldn't have done it without ya!


The Great Wall of Converse at the Toi Market in Nairobi


On Our Scavenger Hunt in Machakos: First Stop, the BUTCHER!Yukk!



Erica and I with the Mama from our Kenyan Music video starring Mama, Bebe, Erica, Sarah, and I (video to be added soon!). The baskets in the background are woven from sisel fibre and plastic bags by the Komba people group.


Too Legit 2 Quit: Me, Erica, Lil Dude, and Ryan


The Mzungus on Parade: the day of our hike up the mountain.


Last Sunday at Massii Boys' School, the place where I rapped and preached the previous Sunday. *Shown: Kate, Robert, Chaplin, Me, and Erica

1 comment:

Meghan Baird said...

**Reminder that you can click on the pictures to view them bigger.**