Thursday, December 21, 2006

One thing I left out in yesterday's blog was my internship at the U.S. State Department. There, I was able to learn a lot about East Africa and specifically, refugees. It was there that I realized that my mom was either a refugee or an IDP (internally displaced person). My Grandfather is a Serb, and lived in Germany because he couldn't go back to his country after the war; and my Grandma was a German, but an IDP. So, my mom was one of the two, but I do not know how they identified her. It is interesting how things connect like that.
Yesterday, I left off with going to WVU. Last spring I graduated, and worked at a boarding school for teenagers with behavior problems. There, I learned and then taught survival and search and rescue skills, as well as doing a form of therapy with them. Currently, I am substitute teaching and in January, will take over as a guidance counselor for 3-5 graders, until the end of the school year.
It is in September, that I will most likely leave for Africa to teach for a year. I am excited to go and ask for your prayers as I prepare mentally, spiritually and financially for this trip.

No comments: