Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In the classrooms

Today Nicole took Chris and I around to all the schools in out district. Chris is taking over Nicole's position here as the Water Sanitation Project Manager, and that program is inter-related with the Education program in that having clean and close water at the school makes for a better learning environment. So I saw 6 schools: 5 Primary and 1 Secondary. The "niceness" range of the appearance of these schools went from mud and stick structures that look like the manger scene of a church at Christmas (actually worse), to painted concrete buildings that look nice, but are skeletal.

It is a bit overwhelming, to me, because I have no idea where to start at this point. You look at the mud and stick school started by a young man who is passionate about the children of his community having an education, so he built the most basic structure ever; and then there is the well-built skeletal structure that is also headed by a degreed and passionate man who wants to see secondary education rise. He repeatedly mentioned that these teenagers could be just sitting around at home right now, but through free education they have a place to become empowered.

Then, there are all those schools in between that have valid needs as well and are needs in which I might need to do some exploring to identify them (or the root of them).

So that is just a brief description of my day today and the work ahead of me. I appreciate any prayers for guidance.

Note: I'll try to get some pictures of the schools in the coming weeks. I didn't bring my camera this time because I felt it necessary to be focused during my introductions. Although you can refer to the Nuru Website for pictures of some of the schools. www.nuruinternational.org

Also, please continue to pray for Martin and Cath. I just got an update that Cath, who is South African, could not get an extension on her visa in Germany to be with Martin and is trying to get a 3 month visa ASAP. Martin has cancer all over his body and is given a year at the longest. They were supposed to be married in April in South Africa, but will possibly be pushing the wedding up and in Germany because Martin can no longer travel.

Just a reminder of who they are, they were on the Sudan TIMO team in Lohutok working with the Lopit people. Cath lived in my hut during her month out of Lohutok to observe the Scotlands. She is the most amazing person ever and the biggest pray-er that I've ever met. Martin is so kind and gentle and just loves the people he works with and has such a strong devotion to Africa.

Thanks for your prayers everyone!

1 comment:

T@R@ said...

#1- thanks for letting me live this season of your life with you through blogging :)
#2 - I will be praying...what a heartbreaking situation but not too big for God to handle
#3- love your life!