Friday, February 6, 2009

Making a list and checking it twice


Bags from Last Time

As I'm preparing to leave I have been to Target, been to Wal-mart, and been back to Target again. I've packed all my stuff, unpacked it, and re-packed it again. I'm not sure, because it is only Thursday, but I may be finished packing. As of now I have one Rubber maid Action Packer (plastic crate), one big hawaiian duffel (from last time), a backpack, and a medium size duffel. I totally thought that I could mange my junk down to a small duffel and the Action Packer plus backpack this time, however I guess I must love junk because obviously that didn't happen. Well, there is the random other stuff I'm taking too, that will be dispersed to various people throughout this tour. One bulky item being about 10 little photo albums that I'm bringing to give out to my friends in Ikotos, in hopes of seeing them during my month break in mid-May/early-June. I printed photos of different sets of friends (i.e.- Amuna, Madeline, the pre-school kids, Agnes, etc.). As I was putting them together, I couldn't help but to tear up just a little bit at the thought of them having something of their own and to own a picture of themselves-- several pictures of themselves. My little pre-school friends such as Ingerim and Amama probably have very few things in this world that they can call their own. Namely, a dress or two, and their cup for school lunch. I just cannot wait until I can give them their photo albums and watch them look through it.

Some people have asked me if I am bringing less stuff than last time, or at least know what I didn't need last time that I won't bring this time. I'd say that I brought a lot of the right things last time, yet not enough town clothes. This time I'm bringing a few "nicer" shirts and a pair of jeans to wear in Nairobi and for when I go visit Rachel in Mozambique during break. Last time I packed as if I was going back out in the woods like when I worked for the Alldredge Academy as a Wilderness Instructor. That wasn't horrible, with the exception of cooking with one tiny camping cook pot and using sporks when I have guests over for dinner. Last time I also did not bring a set of sheets, but this time I am because the happy camper get-up that I was going for only lasted for so long before I was definitely wanting to free my tootsies from my silk sleeping bag liner! Also, only having a travel pillow was less than comfortable night-after-night, however, I'll see about buying one in Nairobi instead of bringing one all the way from here.



One major thing (things) that I am not bringing this time is a bag full of school supplies. This time, with Nuru, there are no hand-outs. Plus, if I deem that a school would need something, almost everything is available in Nairobi, which is a 6-8 hour bus ride. Last time I brought 50 lbs of schools supplies and 35 lbs of toiletries. I also realized that most of the toiletries can be bought in Nairobi (although some are more expensive).

What are the things that I wish I could bring but don't have room?
Well, first of all, my own Starbucks Barista, but other than that, enough Quaker's instant oatmeal and tuna to last the entire 6 months and my bicycle. In Sudan I REALLY missed riding my bike. Some days I'd daydream about riding my bike to Lobwaya and back. The main reason I'm not bringing it is that it seems to annoying to deal with getting it to Isebania (my town). Maybe at some point I'll buy a cheap one there.

What have I been up to since training?
Well, since training I've moved completely out of my house in Morgantown (thanks to my stuff babysitters the Wassifs, Hardestys. and Tiffany) while battling the evil snows of which that town throws forth; then driving down to Wytheville,VA for a Rotary meeting; then to Kelly's house in Harrisonburg for the night; then up to Martinsburg, WV for some minor toe surgery, having dinner with my gurus of guidance, Les and Jan Smith; catching up with Karen at Shepherd University; and then driving home to Bowie, but not before stopping by Starbucks for a Skype teleconference with my teammates in Frederick,MD. I rested, read and packed this weekend before shlepping back to WV's Eastern Panhandle for another round of visits. This time on the roster was The Outfitter AT Harper's Ferry (thanks for my sleeping bag and the pizza), Potomack Intermediate School (from my guidance days), the Franklin's house, and then (impromptu) sleeping on Karen's floor last night before heading home this morning. Now it's home-bound until Monday when I take off to Kenya. WHEW!

Have a great weekend and feel free to mark this blog up with comments throughout these six months!

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

yeah, you are on your way!! we are staying with the janders right now :)